Monday, December 3, 2007

Things 9 & 10: Feeds

In March Nicole McGee did a short "RSS Feeds" workshop at Princess Anne Area Library during which we learned how to set up an RSS feed reader using Bloglines and subscribe to feeds. I played with it for a few weeks, adding feeds for book reviews, cooking, the local news, weather, and other interests. Finding a feed for my co-workers blog, Sara's Hold Shelf, was the highlight for me. Then work became busy, and my account went unchecked until the Library 2.0 Thing 9 assignment. When I finally recalled the password, I discovered I had over 800 unread postings. Surprisingly, some feeds had little or no new postings. One had a notice that it had been officially discontinued.

One of the reasons my Bloglines account went unused for so long is that after wading through all my email, I don't really feel like looking at another page of input. My unassigned time is spent responding to email and doing tasks--I don't feel I have the time to just read at my desk. However, as blogs are created containing more job specific content (VBPL Talks, Readers Advisory, etc) , I may start opening my Bloglines reader everyday.

No comments: