Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Thing 11: Investigating Instant Messaging

I really thought I had already written a response to Thing 11, but I didn't see it posted. So here it is out of chronological order.

When I was at UK in 1994, I participated in an experiment in virtual reference. My role was as information seeker logging into a MASH--MUSH??--MUD???--a virtual room. A library student in another physical space played librarian. He logged in; we chatted about my question. He was able to actually take over my computer and show me some websites that might have the answers to my question. Later I found out we were the only pair that had success at answering the question. The researcher running the experiment said our success was because of communication style. My librarian asked open ended questions, and I gave good feedback, refusing to be satisfied until my question was truly answered.

IM is faster than email but slower than a telephone conversation. It has it's own code and abbreviations. It has a spontaneity that you don't get in email. I haven't used it much since I graduated from college. But then I am a troglodyte who still hasn't subscribed to cable television and rarely checks her personal email. (Yup, last time I looked I had 999 new messages. I think I will shut that account down and start a new one).

No comments: