Saturday, December 22, 2007

Thing 19: Explore any site from the Web 2.0 Awards list

Biblio.com bills itself as a "booksearch and marketplace". I was curious to see how it would stand up against searching Amazon...

I searched "megan lindholm" and found only one book on Biblio...The Gypsy co-written with Steven Brust, going for $1. On Amazon, I found The Gypsy going for $11.16...but I also found half a dozen other titles I have been browsing for including Wizard Among the Pigeons, which I have been looking for for ages. So why buy from Biblio? Sometimes books are cheaper. And it supports a network of independent booksellers. But those same sellers are also listed on Amazon. So I guess the main advantage is, in their own words...

"When you buy books at Biblio, you support literacy and education! Since 2004, Biblio has used a portion of its profits to help build 7 community libraries in South America. Find out more about Biblio and its commitment to communities. Not only that, but Biblio.com is the most eco-friendly book marketplace, offsetting the emissions from the delivery of every new & used book you buy! "

No comments: