Sunday, January 6, 2008

Thing 27: Take a look at Library Thing




Library Thing has wonderful tools for cataloging and organizing books. It uses real library cataloging terms in addition to the folksonomy tagging. It has a diverse community of subscribers and groups. You can view your list by covers or in list format with publication dates and ISBN numbers. It offers you six different format options for your list. It is a great tool for finding new books to read and reviews about books. And it costs $10 a year if you have over 200 books loaded.

Last month, I hit the magic 216 which is why I have been using Shelfari which does not provides ISBN numbers or options for formatting your shelf. It does not provide library cataloging terms. However, it is 100% free.
I like the feature on both Shelfari and Library Thing that allows me to see members who have books in common with me. I frequently check to see what they are reading and find titles to add to my "to read" shelf. Mostly I have been using tags to create book lists for myself and for library displays.
I have added both my Shelfari and Library Thing bookshelves to this blog.


No comments: