Thursday, January 3, 2008

Thing 25: Podcasting, Video & the Library

Once again, this assignment was made harder by the Library's filtering software. I explored how podcasts were used at Denver Public Library and Arizona State University. I loved the way Denver used the podcasting to share audio stories for children. Arizona State, not surprisingly, focused more on reference than reader's advisory. They provided guides to library resources, highlighted databases, and explained how to cite resources. Unfortunately, I was unable to play any of the podcasts, even when I used the public access Internet terminals and loaded the podcasts into my RSS Feeder. The only public access Internet stations with sound at my branch are also the most heavily filtered. I was very disappointed.

I really admired how Denver's catalog integrated the Internet and library resources. Searching in the catalog, a customer can directly download and audio book, create a NetLibrary account, or request an ILL. I wish Va. Beach had such a smooth interface! Our customers have to move from the catalog to one of the Internet PCs and leave the catalog altogether to ILL. I especially liked the "Didn't Find It?" feature.

No comments: